28 August 2010

Art Journaling Week at Balzer Designs

Last week was Art Journaling week at Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's blog. I took this opportunity to once again try out art journaling.

My first attempt was this page:


I made this after reading Linda Tieu's post. The background was made by first dripping aquamarine and sage green paint all over the page and then brushing it out. I then filled in the white bits with orange and blue watercolor pencils. I'm not pleased with the black crackle sticker. But it is what it is. I started to jot down random thoughts similar to Julie's example and Judy Wise's style (so love her blog)! I'll be honest, I'm not terribly confident in this style. I think more practice is in order.

I made this second page at work on Friday:


I haven't been sleeping well (thus the My mind conspires against me) and Friday morning I woke after an unusual dream; I started randomly writing my thoughts. I then just outlined the string of text... I liked it before the lines. Again, I will need to try this again sometime. I like to just write whatever comes to mind in any random way. I do that often... just never in an "art journal".

This last page is what I made this morning:


This was made after reading this post by Julie. I had the most fun with this style. This William Butler Yeats poem was made into a song by one of my fave magical groups, Elvendrums. We love the song and my daughter gave me the idea to use it on the page. I saw the photo in a magazine and thought he needed wings... that was as far as I had planned the page. Next time I think I need to blend the photo edges into the page more... especially at the bottom.

All in all, this was fun and I'll be making moar (yes, moar, not more! gaming has ruined me and I give up trying to fix this) pages in the future. I won a spot in Marit's Let It Loose workshop and I can't wait to learn moar techniques. Once I've got the technique to apply what goes on in my brain I'll be all set :o)

1 comment:

milkcan said...

Oh wow! Your pages are so fantastic and unique! I love them! And the color combos are divine!