02 December 2010

I love Alcohol Inks!

I know I don't talk much about them but I really love Alcohol Inks. I love them because they are so versatile. I may not use them as much as my distress inks but I do use them a lot. Usually in little ways; and once in a big way!

Last spring, my son was prepping for Anime Boston. He had a blue wig for his Saix costume but it wasn't quite the right shade of blue.


The solution? To purchase a blonde wig and dye it with alcohol inks. Now, getting a couple of tiny bottles of ink to last for a whole wig wasn't easy and I'll be doing some things a bit different next time. We mixed equal parts alcohol ink and 70% isopropyl alcohol (the cheap stuff from the drug store). Then sprayed it on the wig in spits and spurts, massaging it around every few minutes. Here it is while still wet.


 And here's a close-up!



It's still not quite the right shade but it looks great. I love the various shades of blue throughout the hair. I told the shop where he buys his wigs about Alcohol inks but they haven't started selling them, yet :o)

No comments: