18 March 2010

At what point do you stop being nice in life?

Last night a friend and I were playing boardgames at a local game store. It was about 10:45 when we left and as we got to the car, a woman started yelling to us from across the parking lot. She said she had missed the last bus and needed a ride to a local shelter. I asked if she had been drinking and was stupid enough to believe her when we said No.

So, I agreed to give her a ride to the shelter and what does she do? Mumbles about all her medical problems and tells us why she's homeless and about all the things she's lost. And then she passes out in my backseat. We rouse her again for directions and get to the shelter where she's staying. She could barely get out of the car, she then asked us for money and then what does she do? Walks in the opposite direction of the shelter!

It's very frustrating. I've been homeless before and blamed no one but me. I didn't drink away my sorrows. I looked for a job and apartment every day. I understand that her addiction is likely what pushed her to be homeless but just don't say anything! Why spew out your life history to the person who has already kindly agreed to give you a ride somewhere?!

But on the other hand, would knowing she was drunk have prevented me from giving her a ride? I don't know. Having my friend with me certainly made me more willing but her condition wasn't likely a factor.

No comments: