25 March 2010

Playing Again

I started going to board game night at X-9 Games in Hadley again. I went with a co-worker last week and again last night. I forgot how much I enjoy playing board games.

Last week I played Colosseum. My first thought was that it was a bit Traumfabrik except that vertrags DON'T count as points and the scoring was not clear to me until half-way through the game.



You start with a small stadium and there is an auction for different lots of resources needed to put on shows. There are only 5 turns in the game so us nubs were told we need to be doing something every turn to boost our show scores. The odd scoring I mentioned is that your scores are not cumulative. You only score for your largest show. So, during your first 4 turns, you should be building toward having a fab last show. Your first 4 could be crap as long as your last is worth more then anyone else.

For Heather and I, the two nubs, we came to this realization at the beginning of the 5th round. I look forward to playing this again, now that I understand the rules :o)

Last night we played Dixit. It's a pseudo-party-game with funky art. It's like Apples to Apples with images. Quite enjoyable though I could see there was a definite benefit to knowing your opponents.



The last game we played last night was Small World.



This I also quite enjoyed. But again, there was an important rule that I didn't know about until about half-way through the game. Apparently you can pick up your entire army and restart it anywhere on the edge of the board! So, when I had my Amazons spread across 12 zones, I could have picked them up and not been so spread out! If only I had known! Ah well. I look forward to playing again :o) This might even be a game I buy!

No comments: