11 March 2010

Measuring is for Sissies!

I came home from work last Thursday and found this on my kitchen counter.



And notice the attempted cookies around the edges. This is the result of my son making some no-bake cookies. Growing up they were jokingly called cat-shit cookies by my family. It is said, that one evening my grandmother was out for some drinks with friends. While she was out my mom and her siblings made some of these cookies and left them on the counter to set. When my less-then-sober grandmother saw them in the dimly light kitchen she loudly exclaimed to everyone that "the cat's shit on the counter".

Anyway, this is not how they should look. My son's been making these cookies for no less then 7 years and he gets a good batch about 50% of the time. He is often confused why they don't turn out and I always chalked it up to him being a child. This time he was exasperated because he signed up to donate cookies for the GSA bake sale. He couldn't very well turn up without any baked goods. So, being the good mommy I am, I told him I'd make some cookies.

As I was pulling the ingredients together, it became painfully clear why his cookies didn't turn out. There are only 6 ingredients and since you're boiling sugar, you can't really wing it... well, we can't but I'm sure some people could. In the end, he only measured the sugar and the milk correctly. Instead of 6 tablespoons of cocoa he used 1/4 cup. Why, pray tell, would he do that? Because he didn't have the 1/3 cup measure cup.

Where was it you ask? He had used it to measure out the 1/4 cup of butter for the recipe so it was dirty (and obviously couldn't be washed... soap is deadly to the average 15-year-old).

There is no flour in this recipe so you need something to help hold it all together. We use oatmeal. 3 cups of it. Except that Zach didn't realize when I make oatmeal for breakfast I use the 2/3 cup measure cup and leave it in the oatmeal. So he carefully measured out 3 scoops of oatmeal.... or 2 cups. And why dirty the 1 teaspoon measure spoon when he could just pour some vanilla in?

So, in then end, he measured 1/3 of the ingredients correctly. And he couldn't figure out why they were runny. Though we did get a good laugh as we were finding out how many things he didn't measure right. And in the end the cookies were loved by all :o)

1 comment:

Tyggereye said...

haha yeah baking is hard for most men, not just 15 year olds. The exact science of it is kind of a deal breaker. haha great try for him though! lol